I recently attended BlissDom12 in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a whirlwind on so many different levels. First, it was information overload as we sat through presentation after presentation, gaining vast amounts of knowledge from those paving the road ahead of us. Second, there were over 700 attendees — so many people to meet, talk to, ask questions of, and become friends with. Lastly, it was an emotional roller coaster. We laughed and cried. We were challenged and inspired. Many ideas were shared, and expounded on as we brainstormed with our new friends and mentors. Many women left with the courage to begin a business venture they’d been putting off for unknown reasons. And many women left with the reassurance in knowing they’re headed in the right direction as they continue on their journey into the unknown.
Here’s a list a list of key takeaways from each presenter that I had the pleasure of listening to and learning from:
Jon Acuff Opening Keynote @jonacuff
- Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.
Jeannette Kaplun on Living the Best Life @jeanettekaplun
- Life is sum of choices. Choose to live by choice, not by chance. Chooses to make changes, not excuses.
Ananda Leeke on Fierce Living from your Creative Heart @anandaleeke
- Find the quiet, and listen to yourself — everything you need is within.
- Keep a daily journal. Reread often and learn from what you’ve written.
Justin McCullough on Igniting Sparks of Passion with the Fuel of Purpose @mccjustin
- Find your purpose, working only for passion isn’t going to pay the bills.
- We want to love what we do (passion), but we’re also looking for confidence, attraction, power, enduring energy, and unstoppable force (purpose).
- Passion: our skills and talents, what I’m capable of. Not sustainable. Not a business model.
- Purpose provides: meaning, intention, conviction, focus, endurance, inspiration, motivation, and attraction.
Diane Cu on Photography @whiteonrice
- Your story, your life journey is unique.
- Your eyes are your lens.
- Your heart is your shutter.
- Believe in your story.
Tsh Oxenreider on Expanding Your Brand @simplemom
- Quality, quality. Edit, edit.
- Write every day. Writer even when you don’t feel like it. Write when you can, not when you’re in the mood.
Michael Hyatt @michaelhyatt
- Don’t live your life as a passive spectator, have a plan.
- Think about how you want to be remembered after you die, and live your life up to those expectations.
- We all have an expiration date — live wisely.